Monday, November 22, 2010

favourites


Today, I decided to collect all of my vases from the top of my kitchen cabinets and get them wrapped in paper and tucked in a box for moving. It's not like I'm going to be needing a vase in the next month, right? I shouldn't be.

They're all in need of a good wash and scrub after being in the kitchen for a couple years (I'll do that once moved). I saw this tip over on Shelterrific last week and I'm definitely going to try it out. It's really hard to clean the insides of skinny necked vases, you know?

Since I have them all down (and arranged in heft and size cuz I'm anal like that and I figured it would make boxing them faster and smarter), I thought I'd share with you some of my all-time favourite vases. All of them are special and favourites, but these are my favourite favourites.

When I first thought to take pictures of my favourite vases, this is the one I immediately took a picture of and then I thought, hey. I've never even used it. But it doesn't matter cuz I'll never get rid of it. I love the colours and bizarro nature of it.








I never kept this one on the top of the kitchen cabinets, but I thought I should pack it anyway since it is a vase afterall. I keep this one on my bedside table. It holds every rose (except for three) Idle Husband has ever given me. I thought it was fitting for that role because of the bright blue and almost Greek-like swirls on it.








I love the heft of this one. And the bumps. And the silver rim. And because it's so understated, I actually use it quite a lot for bouquets. It's one of those interesting but subtle vases.









Obviously, the fish really appealed to me when I bought this one. The colours in general actually. Brown-grey and yellow. It's very peaceful, just like real goldfish.









Hobnail milkglass. Need I say more? Another bumpy, interesting, subtle vase that's super functional. Mom has the rest of this collection.










This small vase is the one I probably use the most on a daily basis. It fits shorter stemmed flowers perfectly and looks good with any sort of arrangement. I'm usually cutting tiny flowers out of the garden (like poppies), so I always look through all of my shorter vases with the intention of using something different, but I always end up using this one. There are butterflies on the opposite side of the bird.






These three crystal vases were my grandmother's so they hold a very special place in my heart. I distinctly remember that the smaller one in the front (with the bird on it) was the one she used most, and it always had a cluster of roses in it.
So those are my favourites out of a whole lot of them. I wish I could take a picture of every one of them, but I'd be blogging all day about it and they still need to be wrapped and packed! I'm hoping to do something different with them in the new house rather than just keeping them on the top of my cabinets all year, so I wanted to try to get them all in one box so I'd be able to store them nice and orderly-like until I'm ready to display them (summer). Actually, let's be realistic here. It's going to require two boxes... maybe three.


I also just lamented the fact that I didn't share my favourite decorative tins when I was packing those up, but I'll try to remember to do so when I'm unpacking them. There are some really pretty tins in there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect shot for a frigid day!
Luv these vases--would luv to see more-after the "move" of course

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

Oh I love that blue one! So pretty!

Mz.Elle said...

I love the bumpy one with the silver band,so pretty. I need more pretty things,yours inspire me!