Monday, December 17, 2012

let it snow snowglobe postcard

I am so behind this year. I had this great idea for Christmas postcards, then I got bogged down with preparing for our trip and never got around to printing them out on time.

I had a moment when I thought I should just grab some (very cute) premade cards I already have and save this idea for next year, but I figured these could very easily be considered "winter" cards so when they arrive after Christmas (which they probably will), they'll still make sense.

And they are pretty easy to put together.

Print this out. You can use my picture (it's just a mountain in Greece so I think it's a little cheeky cuz there's absolutely no snow on it save for the tippy top) or you can find another picture in your personal library that suits you best. You can also use whatever saying suits you best. You don't need a fancy photo program to do this stuff. You can easily add words and resize a picture through paint or otherwise. (fyi: my postcards are sized at 5.6" x 3.6" which is the smallest size you can send through Canada Post.)

I also want to add that after printing one copy, my printer printed the rest out with a lovely green haze to my black and white. If I had more time, I might entertain the idea of getting these printed up at Staples. Sorry to those who get the greenish postcards. Clearly I need a better printer.

Cut out the picture but leave a little bit of a border around all sides. Don't worry, you'll clean it up after.

Cut out a piece of wax paper that matches the size of the card (including the border).

Sew around two of the edges, add the "snow" and finish sewing the last two sides.

After initial tests went sour (see above), I decided to go with the paper holes from a hole punch. I used graph paper (cuz I liked how I could get something similar to a snowflake look just by lining up the grids in the punch) and I punched through about three or four sheets of the stuff to get just enough. About 12 punches per card. I wanted to get that fake snow you can buy in bags, but I couldn't find it in time. If you like sparkles or fake snow, use whatever you want, just make sure there's just enough so it doesn't overwhelm the picture and text. (The blue glitter exploded as soon as I opened the tube of course. Sigh. Glitter.)

Now you can trim the card and the wax paper down to the edges of the picture (the stitching makes a nice inset border) and you're done. Just flip it over, write your message, and send!

{p.s.} If you're card-worthy, you'll almost always receive postcards from me. It's annoying coming up with envelopes for diy cards (even though I totally could -- I'm just lazy).

5 comments:

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

Love it!

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

Oh my gosh, I absolutely LOVE this idea! And not just for Christmas, but anytime! I'm definitely going to do this.

Tiffany said...

Love this idea!!!

Mina said...

Amazing. Really lovely idea!

Sarah said...

That's so clever! Love it!